Friday, April 18, 2014

DCJ 3:

I really enjoyed this lecture. I struggle a lot with creativity so it was really nice seeing the ways that our minds can affect the ways we see things. I especially liked the concept of lateral thinking. There are so many cases when I catch myself getting stuck thinking in the same way about a problem when I can't figure it out. I like the concept of completely changing your approach to find a solution to a problem.

Pertaining to the online lecture, I would say that my flow is a room with some, but minimal talking, my big noise cancelling headphones, and a cup of coffee or an energy drink.

I would also definitely say that I am a Polychronic person. Being in engineering, I am kind of forced to do many things at once. The content in my classes can be so frustrating to try to grasp that I need to be flexible with changing to another subject if I get stuck for too long. Nearly all of the polychronic points describe me perfectly also.

My personal space is definitely a more open space with a large table for me to spread out and organize the things I will be working with.

I believe that mental filters and blocks are things that we instantly think of when hearing something we have heard before. It is essentially associating things we interact with, with things we have already experienced.


Suggested Readings

1. The video about accidental inventions was very interesting to me and made me realize that when trying to solve a problem, one may fail at solving one, but succeed in solving another. I was unaware that there were so many extremely influential discoveries that were found on accident.

2. What color is Tuesday? was very eye opening for me also. I didn't realize that our minds naturally associated so many things with all our different senses. I thought it was very interesting that they gave the example of someone having a "green name". That doesn't sound real to me, but my brain does it subconsciously every day.

I attended class on January 30th.

No comments:

Post a Comment